The Ogilvie-Wiener home, located in downtown Shreveport, is open for tours every Saturday and Sunday from 4-6 p.m. The cost is $10 per person.
The home is partly named for William Burwell Ogilvie (1847-1899) who was born in Georgia. Orphaned at 15, he traveled to Bossier Parish, Louisiana, and was raised by relatives. During the Civil War, he was a private in Company A of the 6th Louisiana Cavalry, deemed the "Caddo Light Horse", CSA. After the war, he started a wholesale grocery business in the 100 block of Texas Street, which became a very successful venture. The Ogilvies would eventually move into the hardware business.
In 1870, the 600 block of Christian Street was platted by Shreveport attorney John N. Hicks (1845-1910), and became the city’s first subdivision. Shortly afterwards, William purchased property at 624 Christian Street from J. Patzman for $821.25 and constructed an antebellum style L-shaped house. The house could not provide for his growing family, so it was razed and a second was built on the same lot, this time in the Queen Ann Victorian style, designed by Shreveport architect Luther T. McNabb, completed in 1897. The original architectural rendition of the house is shown above. William died in 1899 and his wife in 1906. They are buried in Greenwood Cemetery on Stoner Avenue in Shreveport.
Within a year of Mrs. Ogilvie’s passing, the mansion was sold to Samson Wiener (1864-1942). The mansion stayed in the Weiner family until being sold in 1948 to the J. V. Sclifo family for $10,000.
Private and group tours are also available of this beautifully restored mansion.